Donnerstag, 1. November 2012

INTERVIEW / csilla klenyánszki

Woman

There are a lot of new photographic talents outside. But there are some who are especially interesting, because there work is more than just dokumentation or decoration. I try to find them and share them with you. One special talent I found, is Csilla Klenyánszki. The Hungary born photographer has studied language and literature & communication science in Budapest and photography at the Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam. After internships at Elspeth Diederix and Uta Eisenreich, Csilla is currently  based in Rotterdam and worked as a freelance phographer.

She is focused on stil life photography and is proud to be a part of the Dutch photography scene which is characterized by a strong conceptional approach and a high focus on composition and imagery. These are also terms and concepts which is csilla´s work characterized: her stil lifes are sometimes Poetic, absurd, weird but still clear composed and well balanced.

The chosen primary colours remind a little bit to the colours of the traditional costumes in Hungary and create a universal relation to her origin but also to her current location. Everyday objects- oder scenarios or modified portraits are the main contents of csilla´s work. There she manages always new perspectives on already known. A few days ago csilla gave me an Interview and answered questions about her work and her life.



Who are you and what interests you / your work?
I’m a Hungarian, photography orientated artist.

What does it mean to you, being a photographer?
It just a really good excuse to do what I like to do; get lost in different kind of worlds.

Are there concepts that are frequently on the subject of your work? And why?
I have some obsessions like birds, patterns or function. I cannot really explain them as
they are fascinations.

You shoot a lot of still lifes. What interests you most in this genre?
Probably the fact, that everything is under control and by this you are able to build your
own reality. If you are working (for example) with models, then you don’t have so much
power and the image depends on a lot of elements which are out of your hands and I
find that a bit frightening. Also, I find common objects interesting. Everyone can relate
to them, because they are so familiar so it is nice to try to bring something un- but at
the same time usual out of them.

How important are the following terms in your work: form, colour and
composition?

I’m obsessed with colors lately, so they are quite important. If you shoot still lives, you
have to be able to work with form, color and composition, because the whole thing is
about these elements (and light of course) and how these elements interact with each
other. My photography became more graphic lately, a little bit like illustrations, so this is
also a reason why color, form and function became more and more important.

Which role does absurdity play in your work?
It’s more like fantasy I guess. Nonsense and absurdity are part of that of course, but
did you ever have a dream that made totally sense?, and then there is the question; is
the usual the unusual, and does the nonsense makes sense? It depends on our point of
view, reality is actually totally surreal so I don’t think that my images are crazy at all.

You divide your work into chapters. What do you want to achieve with this
arrangement?

It’s a really good question. I find it important that my images can be seen as individual
pictures, so that they are strong on their own as well. However I try to work in projects
so that all these images can be seen as a coherent work as well. The chapters make this
easier to achieve, because by this I get more freedom and I just love phrases and titles,
so it’s also nice to integrate them.

Photography is a creative discipline like graphic or fashion design.
What is for you  the most important factor in the design process?
It’s important to take your time and do not try to rush anything. Eventually everything
finds its right place.

What influenced your designs? Who? Or What? How has your birthplace
influence you too?

I grew up in Hungary, but I do think that my photography is more Dutch then Hungarian,
or at least the elements, color-composition I use. On the other hand it probably has
some kind of story telling in it which is more Hungarian then Dutch. Of course
everything has an impact in our life and our daily life has an impact on our work, so it
would be difficult to pick or identify one, because I can not really separate them from
each other.

How did you get your career start and what path have you taken since?
I try to believe in my work, that’s a good start.

Do you have role models or icons?
No, I hope not. It would make a lot of thing more difficult.

What does it mean to you to live and work in Rotterdam, The Netherlands?
I have a feeling that the “Dutch design” has a big impact on my work. Dutch
photography is quite strong, so I find it nice to be a part of it.

How has knowing to appreciate art and design affect the way you live?
I try to pay more attention on things that look boring at the first place, because you
never no, maybe they aren’t that boring at all.

If you are not doing photography what will you be doing?
I would love to write.

What is your goal for the future?

Not to give up.


Bird on yellow ground

Origami bird and a cup coffee

A hand in a vase

A head in a bowl

A bird and an apple


Golden hand

Rubik cube

Portrait with yellow points




Coke with candle
Fried egg

© Csilla Klenyánszki

1 Kommentar:

Bitte hinterlasse nur dann einen Kommentar, wenn du auch wirklich etwas zu dem Post zu sagen hast. Spamkommentare werden nicht veröffentlicht. Danke.